A delicious side dish that can’t be beat (in my mind anyway!) is creamed spinach with mushrooms. I have no idea how it is normally made, but my version is pretty quick and easy and a real crowd pleaser in our house. I recently served it as an accompaniment to the Gluten Free Chicken Fingers I made. It was a big hit.
|Creamed Spinach with Mushrooms||
- 1/2 C frozen spinach
- 8 medium white mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chives
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add in your onions and mushrooms.
- Fry until the onion is soft and translucent and the mushrooms are soft and spongy.
- Add in the garlic and stir in.
- Add the frozen spinach.
- Cook for about five minutes. All the while, the spinach should be breaking up and integrating with the rest of the dish.
- Add some salt and pepper to season.
- Just before it is done, add in the cream cheese and the chives, stirring over a low heat until the cheese has totally melted and dispersed into the rest of the dish.
- Serve immediately.