Sometimes there is nothing better than a really nice salad. But often it can feel like a “light choice” option rather than a filling meal of its own. But you can get the best of both worlds by mixing some heat with your crisp cold salad, and the result is that hot meal feeling without the stodgy bloat association.
My favorite way of preparing this salad is with warm chicken and bacon and a hint of sweetness with some dried fruit. Enjoy!
|Hot and Cold Salad||
- 4 C iceberg lettuce
- 4 Tbsp light caesar dressing
- 2 lean chicken breasts
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 8 Tbsp mixed seeds and/or nuts
- 8 Tbsp mixed dried fruits
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1/4 C shredded cheddar
- 1 slice crusty bread
- In a large bowl, mix the iceberg lettuce and the grated carrot, being sure the carrot is drained and not soggy.
- Bake the chicken breasts in the oven until cooked through.
- Fry or bake the bacon rashers until dark and crispy.
- Slice the chicken breast into short strips.
- Crumble the bacon.
- Take the crusty bread dice it.
- Toast it in the oven for a few moments until crispy and golden brown.
- In the large bowl, add in the caesar dressing and toss the lettuce with it.
- Top with the mixed seeds and dried fruit.
- Crumble the bacon on top.
- Place the sliced chicken on top of that.
- Take your homemade croutons and crumble them on top.
- Finally, add the cheddar for a bit of creamy bitiness.