Who doesn’t love cake? And who doesn’t love banana splits? So how can you miss when you bring the two concepts together?? A moist and delicious cake with all of your favorite banana split accessories, served on its own or with a scoop of vanilla.
You can pretty much add anything you want and you’ll have a masterpiece, but this is my version.
|Banana Split Cake||
- 1 white or yellow cake mix
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 jar maraschino cherries
- 10 – 12 squares of dark chocolate
- 1/2 C butterscotch chips
- Dump one box of white or yellow cake mix into a bowl and add in the mashed bananas.
- For best results, use bananas that are very ripe, or even spotted and brown. The mushier the better (though not rotting!).
- Mix the two ingredients well so that a thick batter forms. Set aside.
- In a cake pan, spread the can of pineapple so that it covers the entire bottom.
- Place some halved maraschino cherries along the bottom, using as many as you think you’d like.
- Dump the cake batter on top of these and spread until the fruit is all covered.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted comes out clean. The top should be firm when you press it, but bounce back easily.
- Remove from oven, and immediately insert the squares of chocolate every inch or so into the cake so that the heat melts it.
- Sprinkle butterscotch chips along the top.
- Leave the entire thing to set until it is mostly cooled.
- Serve on its own or with some ice cream.
I’m not fond of strawberries, so I leave them out, but you can always either add them into the batter or just drizzle strawberry syrup over top at the end. You might even want to garnish with a fresh strawberry.
You can also add some sweet walnut ice cream topping into the cake batter before baking for some added crunch.
The sky is the limit!