A yummy accompaniment to any meat dish, potato cakes are a fun way to use up left over mashed potatoes and are a treat for the whole family. This version is my gluten-free homage to a classic.
|Gluten Free Potato Cakes||
- 2 C mashed potato (instant works, but real is better)
- 1 egg
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 shallot
- 2 TBSP gluten free flour
- 1 TBSP cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 C oil (for frying)
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon (fried to a crisp!) optional
- Put your oil in a frying pan and set on a high heat to get ready for the cakes.
- Mix the mashed potatos, onion, chives and shallot together in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add in the egg and stir to make sure it is evenly dispersed.
- Add in the cream, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Finally, add the flour and mix until the whole thing resembles a slightly sticky dough.
- Divide the mix and use lightly floured hands to create four potato patties.
- Place the patties in the hot oil and fry until golden.
- Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove from the oil and place on a bit of paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some crumbled bacon, or alternatively, your favourite sauces. Ketchup and Mayonnaise work well.