Trying to allow my family to eat well while staying away from the evilness of gluten, I figured that I’d try recreating the yumminess of the classic diner basket – chicken fingers (that’s chicken goujons for you English folk!). It’s actually a fairly simple recipe, which, if you know how to make ACTUAL chicken fingers will come as no surprise.
|Gluten Free Chicken Fingers||
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C gluten free flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 C gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Firstly, you’ll need to have a deep fryer or a pan of oil on the stove. Get the oil heating and ready for frying.
- Next, take your chicken breasts and slice them into strips about one inch thick. I get 4 – 6 strips from each breast depending on the size.
- Now, in one flat dish, place the flour. In another the eggs. In the third dish, combine the breadcrumbs and your spices.
- Taking each chicken strip, dip it first into the flour, making sure it is evenly covered in a very thin layer of the flour.
- Then, dip the flour-coated chicken into the eggs.
- Finally, dip the eggy chicken into the bread crumbs and ensure it is covered completely.
- Now, place a few of the breaded chicken strips at a time into the hot oil, allowing them to crisp and brown. If using a deep fryer, this’ll take about two minutes. If using your stove top, it takes about 90 seconds on each side.
- Pull the strips out of the grease and place on a paper-towel lined plate to drain the grease.
- Your strips are ready to serve.
Once the chicken strips are cooked, you can place them on a baking tray and keep them in a low oven while you make any side dishes. This ensures they stay warm if you haven’t quite got the timing right.
You can also make these beforehand and reheat them in the oven when you’re ready for them.